Drink 1.5 – 2 Litres per day
Most of us are a little dehydrated. Obviously, not enough for it to be life-threatening, but dehydrated enough for it to have a negative influence on our well-being. Some water comes to us in food, particularly wet foods such as fruit and vegetables, but the best way to hydrate the body is to drink water. Making a conscious decision to increase water intake leads to improvements in all sorts of unexpected areas.
The brain is 93% water. About 2 litres of water is needed to fully hydrate the brain and the brain needs new water every 24 hours. And not just any water, but plain water, so not water mixed with colours and flavours, not even water mixed with tomato or strawberry. The only thing you can mix with the water, and still have it cross the blood brain barrier, is citrus (e.g. lemons and orange). The brain receives water only directly from the stomach, through a specific osmotic precipitation across the blood brain barrier.
The rest of the body is hydrated through the alimentary canal, mostly the small intestine, and can be hydrated by extracting water from wet foods and other liquids. If you don’t drink enough plain water, or water with a little citrus EVERY day, your brain will need to recycle the water it has through intercellular ratcheting of the blood capillaries i.e. they constrict. This of course is called a headache!
Five Reasons to drink more water
1. Drinking Water can help with fat loss. While water doesn’t have any specific effects on weight loss – substituting water for any other sugary drinks certainly does and it can help you feel fuller longer.
2. Drinking water can help your skin. Dehydration makes your skin look dry and wrinkled and your skin contains plenty of water.
3. Hydrating your muscles makes them work more effectively. Cells that don’t maintain their balance of electrolytes shrivel and can cause muscle fatigue.
4. Water helps your kidneys transport waste products in and out of cells and help rid your body of toxins.
5. Being adequately hydrated will stop you getting headaches!